Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Today...50 miles. Tomorrow...the world!

Today I reached my first big cycling milestone.  I rode 50 miles.  Doesn't sound like a whole lot, but it most definitely is.  It took me just under 4 hours to complete.  I was pretty happy with the day...didn't feel overly tired and had great company.  Greene County is beautiful from the seat of my little Surly girl!

I can feel the strength morphing into endurance.  I've always had hella strong legs, but capturing that strength and using it to my cycling advantage has been difficult.  Today I felt strong.  Don't get me wrong, climbing the steeps was still a bitch, but I could feel the progress.  I know there is no possible way I could have made the climbs I did today, two months ago.  I high fived myself.

In the recent weeks, I have made a huge connection with my two-wheeled machines.  It's quite hard to explain my obsession, but those of you with the same addiction can relate.  Even when I'm getting dropped, sucking wind and close to crying, I am happy.  I love seeing what my body can do.  There's no better way to see the little nooks and crannies of my home.  I never knew such gorgeous places existed right in front of my face.  It ALMOST fills the void I still have in my heart for California and the Eastern Sierras.....A.L.M.O.S.T. 

There was a point in the ride today where I was overwhelmed with a sense of accomplishment.  I just finished medic school (testing next week, YIKES!) and things are starting to fall into place.  I never imagined upon moving back to East Tennessee that I would be this happy...but I am.  The bike just makes it better.  I was in a terrible head space for a year...and I've overcome it all. 

I feel strong today.  Mind and body.  I am embracing it for as long as it lets me, for I know it's not always like this.  Tomorrow is another day...

No comments:

Post a Comment