Friday, August 24, 2012

My Lonely Bike

My Tennessee paramedic license posted this morning.  Engage penny-pinching
A-hole NOW.  Work has a whole new feeling...the ISH just got realer than real.  Sunday will be my first shift working as a medic...is it a full moon?  I expect the bottom to fall out of the City of Kingsport.  Let's do this thang!
 
On a less sketchy note, I did NOT ride my bike like a boss this week.  I came home from the SORBA camping trip late Sunday night and worked 62 hours in 4 days.  I had BIG plans of riding on my days off, but those plans were thwarted when we spent every second of our Tuesday shift running calls.  No sleep = no bike riding.  Yeah, I know I should have applied rule #5, but I dare you to do my job without sleep for 24 hours and then try to ride a bike.  Let me know how that goes, ok?  Thank goodness for Wed Night Ride...even if it was only 6 miles.  I got to ride with the girlies and move my legs before heading back to work for another 24 hours.
 
Speaking of bikes and girls, I officially took on my 3rd job this afternoon.  I will be ATTEMPTING to fill the very big shoes of Kit and working at Piney Flats Bicycle Shop.  I'm super stoked to be a part of such a good group of guys.  I've always wanted to do something like this...and maybe I'll learn a thing or two about bikes.  I'm also working on getting my bike patrol certification.  I have a ton of free time now that school is over and I intend on making the most of it.  I'll be the only bike patroller going over the handlebars...that, I'm sure of.
 
My body has been overly tired this week and I'm bummed I didn't get on my bike more.  I feel so unprepared for the Barbaritos Triathlon and even more so for Pisgah Monster Cross.  I can't believe race day is almost here and I'm way behind...it depresses me actually.  I know that being an Archer speaks volumes on my determination and drive...but will that be enough to get to the finish line?  My mama was always so good at adapting and overcoming life's bad lemons...and my brother can get on a bike any day of the week and crush it.  Am I made of the same stuff?  Can I do this?  God, I hope so.
 
I know I'm strong and have come so far in both my career and my bike training, but will it be enough when the shit hits the fan?  When someone is dying right in front of me, will I be able to move the knowledge from my head and let it speak through my hands?  When I'm all alone at mile 30, will I be able to tough it out to mile 70?  What happens if I can't get out of my dark place and pedal my bike to the finish?  How will I handle my first death of a child?  I've been put here, in this very place for a reason...and when the time comes, I'll do what needs to be done. 
 
After all...I'm an Archer.

No comments:

Post a Comment