Monday, December 17, 2012

Thank you...

Due to my overwhelming exhaustion last night, I cut my blog fairly short.  I had so much I wanted to say, but my eyes wouldn't stay open.  I actually fell asleep with my hands on the keyboard.  I did, however, get the best sleep I've had in months.  Something about two hard days of riding, a happy heart and of course, an Ambien, makes one sleep like a boss.

When I think back to those two years in Boone when I owned a road bike, I laugh.  Just because you wear spandex and ride around with a bike on your car, doesn't mean you're a "cyclist".  I had no motivation, lacked heart and wanted to be able to keep up without putting in the work.  I sold my bike when I moved to Mammoth and cycling became a distant memory. 

I have spent the last 5 months pedaling my heart out.  I have smiled with pride and cried in utter disappointment.  I have puked, nearly fainted and crashed my brains out in an attempt to better myself.  Some people ask, "Why do you put yourself through so much misery for a bike?"  It's hard to explain, but it just feels so right. 

I would have never been able to start this journey on my own.  So, I want to take a moment to thank a few of you who have lit a fire under my ass this year. 

Brian Archer.  My brother.  You've been doing this for 20+ years and your wisdom is so helpful.  Thank you for building my bike, taking me on "Epic Death Rides" and lifting my spirits when I'm broken and discouraged.  Mom would be so proud of us both this year.

Jamie Williams.  My sweet friend.  You have stuck by me through everything...good and bad.  You've never judged me and always understood my heart.  You are a class act and I'm lucky to have our friendship.  Thank you for pushing me to race 'cross.  I've fallen in love and can't imagine my life without it.  You inspire me daily.

Kim Bishop.  You took a chance on me and allowed me to be a part of a great group of ladies.  I never thought I'd be so passionate about anything other than snowboarding....this is it.  Thank you for guiding me, supporting me and giving me opportunities I wouldn't get otherwise.  I look forward to to hearing your voice again soon... "Last lap Megan! You gotta give it all you got, NOW!"

Dwayne Letterman.  Without you and MSG, I wouldn't be here.  Thanks for taking it on for another year and putting up with my crazy butt.  Your passion for cycling is inspiring.  You're doing a great thing with the college team and I look forward to watching them grow.  Thanks for all the tips and motivation this year.  Next year, I'll kick some ass!

Jordan Lewis and Grace Bishop.  You guys rock my world!  I've been honored to be a part of your lives.  You both have so much heart and I expect big things from each of you.  I'm serious when I say, you WILL go somewhere in this sport.  Just keep your head up, eyes focused and always remember where you came from.  Never expect anything to be given to you on a silver platter.  Expect to fail sometimes.  Expect to hurt.  Expect people to take advantage of you.  Never give up.  Eyes on the prize, kiddos.  You've got this.

Connor and Nolan Tankersley.  You guys have cracked me up all season.  It's been a pleasure watching you guys race.  Stay strong in heart and mind.  Keep working for what you want.  I can't wait to see you guys race road next year.

Aaron Casey.  Thank you for helping me get stronger.  Hard work pays off.  I see so much potential and I will get there.  Also, the "tough love heckling" motivates me.  It also makes me wanna punch you in the neck.  Love ya ;)

Larry Bishop and Jimmy Bennett.  You guys have been my 'pit bitches' all season.  Thank you.  I'm such a junk show before my race and it's nice to have people taking care of you when your head (and stomach) are spinning like a top.  I love ya both like family and can't wait to get really awesome and make y'all proud!

Autumn Lewis.  My peer, but also my 'race mama'.  You're a beautiful soul, lil lady.  Thank you for being my friend and my voice of reason when I'm having a meltdown.  You put things in perspective when I can't.  Sorry I cried like a bitch on your shoulder yesterday.  Racing makes me emotional.  I can't wait till Nationals and Worlds.  You're the best ;)

To all the people I've made friendships with this year...thank you.  It's been a tough couple of years back in the South and I desperately needed to find my niche.  I look forward to seeing each of you at future events and spending quality time heckling everyone we see.  It's been a blast, kids.  Wisco and Louisville, here we come!

If you're not specifically on this list, don't take it personal.  There are so many more people to thank and ALL OF YOU have played a part in this year being one of the best yet.  I'm blessed and fortunate to have such a great CX family and I know it's only going to get better.  Thank you for the cheers, the heckling (I deserved every bit of it) and the love.  You all make me ride harder when I don't want to.  You motivate me to be a better cyclist.  You fill my heart with love.  Thank you for accepting me for who I am and realizing there's more to me than a megaphone and fairy wings.  I'm forever grateful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment